Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 10th Letter!!!

Mom,
 
This past week has been so interesting. There is so much I could talk about, however, I will be brief, but detailed. I have been pondering a lot about Christmas and about what great peace it truly fills our souls with if we let its spirit sink deep within us. This is a time of great service and a time for family, and warm memories, and a time of togetherness. As we were teaching this last week, I realized that the Gospel aligns so perfectly with this season of hope and joy. I was reading in 1st Nephi and I found an incredible scripture that I chose to link to this special time of year. It is found in the 13th chapter, which talks about "the great and abominable church." However, we cannot solely focus on darkness; although there is opposition to all things, we should never forget our Savior and the light and understanding He brings to us so freely if we choose to accept it and act on it in a righteous manner. This especially applies to this wondrous Christmas season! He truly is the "light and life of the world." I do not remember the exact verse, but in the same verse it explains the doctrine of Christ or the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ in such a sweet manner, then it goes on to talk about publishing peace to the tops of the mountains or something to that effect. The point is that Jesus Christ is the great Shepherd, and the Prince of peace over all the land; this Earth in these latter-days and since the beginning of the world.
 
To relate a miraculous experience from this past week... We were sitting in our apartment one day making some phone calls to set up some appointments when we felt that we needed to stop by the Guzman-Romano families' home. We dropped by and knocked on the door, but that wasn't enough. We knew that we could ring the doorbell when we saw a little child scurry past, because that was what we were afraid of, waking this little girl. As soon as we touched the doorbell a teenager opened the door and hollered come in; in Spanish of course! We went in and we found the entire family home, including their son and his wife from Juarez visiting. We chatted with them, and found out what they had been taught, testified about the magnificent Plan of Salvation, invited them to come to church and the Christmas activity in our ward, and then left them with a prayer and were on our way.
 
On Friday was this activity and it was a fiesta! However, it was much different than the Union 4th Christmas shin-dig, complete with the big-band stylings of the Reunion Band. Instead, there was a trio-mariachi band of older men with mustaches, and they were going around to peoples' tables and playing romantic classics of the Mexican culture. It was quite a new experience to me to see a celebration, instead of a dinner, a Nativity play, and maybe some music throughout the night. I went to take a picture, funny thing was I had left my camera in the freezing cold truck and the batteries were freezing frozen as our family would say. Although, I was upset at first, I realized that it was not my purpose to snap pictures as if I were a tourist at this party, but instead to build and establish trust and relationships with the members. That is exactly what I did, I sat with my companions at the Penaloza's table. We talked to them and their friend that they had invited, but she didn't say a whole lot, however, what she did say is that Brother and Sister Penaloza could go to her house and talk more about the Gospel. There were several little miracles this week just like this one!
 
A miracle doesn't have to be a big extravaganza, it just doesn't work like that. Especially in relation to the Gospel, and surrounding this time of year. One of the greatest blessings you can receive is the opportunity to serve some one else and share the Gospel through your testimony of service and its importance. Elder Berrett and I gave a training in District Meeting our first week here, and we related true conversion or progress links with the attributes of Christ. They can be found in Preach My Gospel in Chapter Six.
 
My invitation to you all is to this week or when you get the chance during this holiday season. Pick one of these attributes, set a goal, and then as a New-Years resolution do your best to demonstrate this attribute in your daily life through all that you do and say. Mine at the moment is humility and I have seen a monumental force over take me as a missionary to be able to become like our Savior Jesus Christ. All of these attributes link together, and there are miracles almost everywhere you look you just have to be precise, and pro-active. Yes the world is busy, with the challenges of every-day life, but these truly are the Latter-Days so let us be ever faithful in "pushing our hand to the plow." May we share the Gospel to our loved-ones, friends, family, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, and whole-heartedly accept Elder Ballard's invitation to invite just one person to an activity, Sacrament meeting, or another church-run event. There is no greater joy than being charitable and serving some one else in any way. The smallest things are of the greatest joy and happiness to us, if we but act and react in the way of the Lord Jesus Christ!
 
As far as working with two companions goes....It has been a blessing to have another companion to help me in the hardest of times. Right now, one of our companions is going through a hard time however, we know that the power of the Atonement is real and that it will only strengthen him. I will keep you updated, this area is going to explode with having people to teach within just a couple weeks! I love it here in El Paso, and I would not change it for any place else. I pondered a lot about what I could share with my companions, and I thought a lot about what Bishop Eldredge related to me when I was in Priest Quorum. He talked about ENTHUSIASM and I express my gratitude for his testimony, and his love. He has in-stilled something incredible in my heart. This is a Gospel of peace, comfort, happiness, and joy. Why not smile, even in the toughest situations? I trained my companions on an acronym, which is chosen. C-Character H-Hierarchy O-Outlook S-Soundness E-Enthusiasm N-Nimbleness or Never Give Up. I defined each one and had them guess, what each letter meant. It was a very spiritual experience, and they have taught me so much. I would tell Bishop Eldredge myself, but his address has escaped me....However, if you could pass the message along of my gratitude for his training on enthusiasm and exemplifying that quality that would be awesome!
 
I cannot believe Olivia sang with the Laurels! Way to go Liv! Tell me how it is this next week! Sounds like the Progressive was a hit once more. I will definitely look forward to that tradition in 2015!! I cannot wait to see pictures of holiday moments, etc. As I was scrambling to find something in my suit-case this morning, I found my polos, which I have both outgrown and I am wanting to send them home. I will await your letter, and the Christmas packages! I will see what I can do....It got really cold here on Saturday and frosty. About 32 degrees all throughout the morning into the late-afternoon. I look forward to singing with the ward choir here, because they selected me once they knew I could sing bass. I am one of the strongest basses, along with Bishop Carsoli. We will be singing "Carol of the Bells" in two weeks, which is awesome. It is in Spanish. Random word in Spanish: Carolers is Villanzicos, and going caroling is hacer villanzicos.
 
I hope that you have a great week! Tell the fam, and the ward I say hello. Treats during this time of year in packages are always welcome too! ;) Mint brownies or something else would suffice, haha. Anyway, today is going to be crazy so I better get going here, but I love you Mom and I hope that your knee gets feeling better. 
 
Love,
Elder Sterling Grant Richards 
 
 
 Show message history

No comments:

Post a Comment