Tuesday, December 17, 2013

November 18th Letter

Hey Mom,
I have had a wonderful week! I will keep my eyes peeled for the bag that you sent, I highly appreciate everything you've done for me, and are currently doing for me! You are a wonderful Mom, and I know that you will be blessed for your efforts, and your great works! I am sure that you are being blessed daily. I know that I am.  I have come to treasure photos as valuable memories on my mission.
 
This week was fantastic in so many ways. I truly learned how much an attitude does make an impact on how everything that follows in the day, week, etc....any other extended period of time. As I was pondering about what I could do to be able to attain the attribute, well, strengthen my attribute of humility....I have come across several solutions, and answers to my prayers. I would like to share those. I know that you have to be doing your part, to encourage someone else. Often times when things don't fall into place you have to assess what can I do differently or how can I help make this situation or circumstance better. I realized that many of the Christ-like attributes mesh together when compared to the grander perspective of Eternity! You only have influence or control over certain things, other factors come in to play because of one's agency, will, desire, or strife in doing something.
 
This week we were discouraged to see that Sister Lopez is not going to make her baptismal date for the 30th, however, she is starting to really have an intrigue for learning, and for us to help her understand what she is studying. Ruth is incredible, and we are hoping that she will be baptized in December. I would like to share a quick miracle story that happened this past week on Thursday evening at about 8:15 p.m. or so. We drove to an appointment that we had set about a week in advance. Unfortunately, when we got there we were sad to hear that the husband was in Albuquerque for his job, and he did not bring it to our awareness. However, we got to see how the wife and the son were doing, and it was a sweet tender mercy. The miracle comes into play as we left: We felt prompted to go visit our investigator Oswaldo Aguirre, and my GPS started re-calculating the route to one that we had not taken before.... One that was uncommon, however, it was the right one. When my GPS changed the route it was divine guidance, because sure enough there was a man who hadn't been at his home before out on his porch, and the most miraculous observation I had from the get-go was that his gate was wide-open, and so was his heart and mind. He was truly willing to listen, and the Lord had put him in our path.
 
This man Lidio Camacho is now our investigator with a baptismal date for December 7th. He had been to church before with his daughter, and when we taught a little bit about the Plan of Salvation there were tears streaming down his face, that he would have the opportunity to see his wife, and lost loved ones again. En Espanol es aquellos quien han fallecido. This incredible brother is in his late 70's and he has been prepared his entire life to receive the Restored Gospel! Although, we had the car this last week.... It will be good to be on bikes again and to be able to have those tender mercies of biking in the open of El Paso! In other news: Transfers are next week! I will keep you updated about that for sure.
 
 I know that you are busy in your own personal ministry, and that those people that you talk to see your incredible example and the light from your talents. You, I, and Grandpa Grant all know that we run into people everyday for a reason, and we can relate to them well. Call me little Grant, because last night Javier Lopez (Ruth's boyfriend) and I were talking about music, and he told me he was a composer, and a classical guitarist, pianist, drummer, plays the ukele, and then I wanted to hear his talent. He has perfect pitch, and he pulled out the Spanish guitara and played some romanca for us! It reminded me of Grandpa when he sang "Fox went out on a chilly night."  I told him that I loved to sing, and that I was an instrumentalist before my mission. We really connected, and I can now have vocabulary in Spanish to use regarding one of my passions, which is music! I am learning so much, and my Spanish is improving ten-fold each and every day!!
 
As far as Christmas music is concerned....I honestly have no idea what the rules will be regarding Christmas music. Members have Christmas music on in their homes, and I am around it a lot. I enjoy it, and it drives me to help others feel joy, because they can have Salvation in the Kingdom. I am excited to see what I can do as a missionary on Christmas to bless the lives of others. I also look forward anxiously to when we get to talk on Christmas!!!! 
 
 I think my Nike's might have been terminated when I stepped in dog poop during service....however, they are still in-tact, just stinky.  Elders Craner' birthday is next week on the 25th: The adopted boys of the fam are turning 21!! I still keep in touch with them. They would love to hear from Liv, and Mad, and you, and Hayley I am sure. I know Hannah writes me in Spanish to practice her Spanish! I cannot believe that Trent, Tate, and the Cranes have almost completed their missions....It flies by, but at the same time goes by day by day, which is the right pace! I will pray that your knee gets better. Tell Liv that if I was there right now I would do the same and for her to enjoy it while she can. I am envious that you are going to Michael Buble, how cool! However, enjoy it, and be safe!! I still hear jazzy Buble on my mission every now and then!
 
I am happy to hear that things at home are going well, and that Livi is keeping up her grades, and Hayley is little Sterling Grant....haha! Anyway, I cannot believe Thanksgiving is this next week. I have lost a lot of weight. I now am almost 6'2'' and about 194 pounds. I am sure when winter and the holidays my weight will take its toll, but that is what I get for being a Spanish missionary. I second Hayley's testimony about tithing, it is incredible to see the fruits of paying your tithing! I would love some "Madelynne Frances Fratto Snicker Doodle Dessert Bars"! Yum!!!! I forgot to tell you; kinda late now, but your treats from Halloween were delicious! Thanks for the updates on the ward. I am happy to see missionary work, being lit up so much in our ward. Almost 10 missionaries now serving right? I hope Olivia serves....up to her though. I am glad to hear that you have had so many opportunities on a regular basis to share the Gospel como decimos en Espanol: a los demas!
 
I love you all, and I hope that you have a great week! Will has been awesome to talk to pretty much every week. Even his little funny e-mails of two or five words, they're golden!
-Elder Sterling Grant Richards
 
 Show message history

No comments:

Post a Comment