Monday, July 1, 2013

Sunburn...OUCH! (Letter from 6/24/13)

Hola todos personas!!

This week has been really interesting and full of miracles and tender mercies from the Lord. On Tuesday my companion and I had the wonderful blessing and opportunity of going up the '70 and having a noche de hogar con la familia Gallegos who are an awesome less active part member family. We watched the Testaments with them and the Spirit was so strong in the room, it was truly incredible! After the movie many of them were in tears and I was too because of the Savior coming down to the Americas as described in 3rd Nephi 11 and the Atonement in our lives is truly a powerful and wonderful privilege and an ultimate gift.

After that movie I pondered about all of the people whom I serve whether they are other missionaries, investigators, ward members, part-member families, or less active members how they might come closer to the Savior throughout anything life throws at them. I had a special experience in a lesson with Ricardo Malduno. I told him that he was a miracle in my mission, because he had the faith to stop smoking and to start reading the Book of Mormon and he will be baptized in mid-July sometime which is truly a blessing and tender mercy from our Father in Heaven.

This week was full of excitement, because my companion had his "golden" or his twentieth birthday and we celebrated the best way we knew how to. As a district we went to Sonic because of their 1/2 off shakes and celebrated. Later that night the Orduno family (the dad is a recent convert of 3 weeks ago) Cesar, Roxanna, Jonathan, Julissa, and their whole entire family had us over for dinner and threw my companion una fiesta! Earlier that day, we decided to weekly plan for nearly three hours in 108 degree weather and I came into our trailer really red and burned. At the party they served enchiladas verdes, but in New Mexico they put all kinds of hot peppers and spicy seasonings on everything they make so my companion and I were turning red and sweating. Green chiles here range on the spicy scale and we had been given some of the hottest ones.

We were given Tres Leches right after that, and I was so full, but my sunburn helped me to not worry about the pain from eating too much. We took lots of pictures and there were so many words just shooting by in the air that I did not understand. Here, they use a lot of slang and do not think anything of it. However, my companion warned me about the words that I shouldn't say and pointed them out. Mama Cantana the mom of Roxanna and Nayelli is very into gifts on birthdays, but not only did my companion get a gift bag I got one too and what better to give missionaries than a Hershey's bar and a tie!

The sunburn has been painful, but it has taught me to think of the atonement and although we are all going to fall short, we can better ourselves through leaning on the Savior and praying to find an answer!! No dog bites this week, but the dog that bit me sadly ran away and the investigator Ricardo was pretty upset, but he has shown such an amazing increase of faith lately and it is miraculous the way the Lord works!!

Saturday, we took a map and marked all of the less actives in our ward, which is about 3/4 of the ward and we started making visits and being constantly productive. Saturday we did not see much success, but I had a wonderful opportunity. The same investigator Ricardo that night we told him about the priesthood a little bit and then he asked for a blessing. This was in Spanish and it was my first annointing in Spanish, but my companion helped me out and it went just fine.

Yesterday, my companion conferred upon Cesar Orduno the Aaronic Priesthood and he is going to baptize his son and daughter Jonathan and Julissa hopefully in two weeks!! The last speaker Hermana Garcia spoke about George F. Richards and she pointed me out to the congregation and it was incredible. We had the blessing of doing service for her last Thursday and we got to help out so much, and it was really fun!!

We had a worldwide missionary leadership broadcast yesterday and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and President Monson shared messages on how missionary work is changing in this "digital age" and progressing in a way that it hasn't ever before!! I am really excited to see how much that will increase productivity, instead of just tracting and wasting time.

Hasta proxima semana,

Con Amor,


-Elder Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment