Monday, June 17, 2013

Dogs, 1. Missionaries, 1. Tied:)

We are at the NMSU library to e-mail and we stick with Elder ONeill and Elder Fenner (the other District Leader and his companion in our zone) on P-days and they do laundry at our place, because we don't have to pay like we would in a laundry mat. Anyway, this last week was really interesting....What I mean by that is that none of the people  we felt inspired to see were ever home. However, it did give us a chance to do some finding through tracting and street contacting.

Throughout the week we had dinner with Hermana Staggs and Hermano Flores, and Hermana Garcia. It was KFC on Wednesday night and I believe it was roast on Thursday night, but it was a good experience and at the first dinner with a member I shared the scripture, which was pretty scary, but I was relieved and spoke what I could in Spanish and the members truly appreciated that.

On Friday we had a lot of success and saw so many miracles. We were just walking down the street and this guy sort of limping comes out of nowhere ahead of us and normally we wouldn't run up to someone and scare them, but we felt impressed to call out to him. It turns out he was looking for some help and was walking and miserable, but was helping his brother out. His name is Richard and we have an appointment with him on Tuesday.

This street within itself is a miracle: West Ethel Street. We walked up to another house after that and knocked and a pitbull ran out and charged at us, but for some reason it quickly dashed back into the house. A younger guy came out and soon after that we figured his name was Manny and he wanted to meet with us, but not at his house. I believe that we can get a member involved with him to both fellowship him and create that support system and also have their home be a place where we can teach the lessons.

 After we left his home we went to the house one down to him on the right hand side. This house was full of barking dogs, and the gate was sealed shut and locked up tightly. We felt inspired to walk one more house down and little did we know that we had caught someone home who was never home, especially on Fridays because of sports and other things.

His name was also Manny and he had three sons who all played sports (baseball mainly) and one of them played the violin. I know that already there is a specific reason I started in this area. I played baseball and I play musical instruments. Now when we start to teach this family, Manny, Jessica, and their three kids, I will be able to relate the Gospel to them in such a way that they can apply to their coaching, sports, and instrumental experiences. Three in a row on the street on Friday....Boom Boom Boom!! It was such a miracle and now we already have eight lessons scheduled before Wednesday!

I am really excited to find more people to teach. We have focused pretty heavily on less actives and even members, because we feel like they will be a blessing to the investigators. My Spanish in lessons is finally picking up and I am able to speak it a lot more. Before, I would share a testimony and testify of a couple things here or there, but now I hope to be able to switch off every now and then with my companion.

This past week it was over 100 degrees every day. Today, it is 93 and overcast and it definitely feels so nice. District meeting on Friday morning was a blast and the role-plays were actually pretty fun. I know Grandma did not like them, but I am like Grandpa when it comes to that sort of thing. The Zone Leaders, Elder Lish and Elder Kemp, sat in on it and I role-played with Elder Kemp who has been out here for almost 10 months and it was truly awesome. Our district is made up of my companion Elder Keddington (District Leader) and I (Miranda North Area), Hermana Faddis and Hermana Nunez (Miranda South Area), Sister McShane and Sister McBride (Picacho Area), and Sister Stucki and Sister Montini (Dona Ana and University Area). I really enjoyed eating out as a zone at Cici's after the meeting.

Also on Friday, Ricardo called us to bring him a quesadilla and we made him one, but we also used that as a teaching moment and took a member, Sister Snyder from the English ward, and we taught him about the atonement and committed him to baptism. We don't have a set date yet, but he is definitely making a change in his life. He is seventy years old and when he stops smoking he can get baptized. His dog Pelluza bit my leg, but she didn't latch on, so now I can relate to Jeff already within a week, but it is awesome!

On Saturday our ward had a Father's Day Activity and I got my first real taste of home cooked Mexican food at the park. I am worried about eating menudo ( the inside of a cow's stomach), because most everyone says it is a common dish here .We played football with the youth and played games, and I was with one of the teachers in the ward (dad for the day) and I helped him have a good time. I met the members of the ward and started to see if I could help them out in any way.

 I met the Bishop and we actually ate dinner with him, his wife, and their in-laws Hermano and Hermana Hernandez. Hermano Hernandez teaches Gospel Principles and put me on the spot, but it was good for me and apparently I pronounce words really well, although, I don't speak as much as I would like to. Also in Sacrament Meeting yesterday, I saw that our ward was not even half-full, but I got up and bore my testimony in Spanish and it was a great experience!!

I am excited for this next week. We may have a baptism or two with Julissa and Jonathan Orduno and their dad is getting the priesthood on Sunday, which is exciting. My companion is an awesome trainer and is teaching me to be super organized in everything that I do. Last night, we had to take numbers for the Zone Leaders; you know that one scene in "The Best Two Years."

Thanks for everything, I hope that you all have an awesome week. Remember this verse this week: Alma 37:37! :D
Love,

Elder Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment