Tuesday, March 18, 2014

December 17, 2003

Hola Mom,
 
I have had a lot of powerful experiences this past week that have demonstrated to me just how much the Lord is a part of my life. Earlier in the week I was in contact with many of the other leaders of this mission. From what they all told me I came to the realization that we are never going to have the "perfect" solution to say....However, what we do have is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which truly saves souls within and outside of the true and everlasting restored Church of Jesus Christ on this Earth today. I have had a difficult time this past week showing an increase of love in many situations. I thought and I prayed to figure out why. I received my answer throughout many experiences. I would like to relay just a few of them to you this week.
 
This past Wednesday we had exchanges with our district leader Elder Morris. He came to my area with Elder Berrett and I, and Elder Anderson went to Ascarate. I was deeply touched by what he said to me all throughout the week. Even if you have to pull someone and drag them, you do everything you can to help them in the best way you know how! As our exchange was coming to a close we received a phone call during our morning studies. It was Hermana Aragon, she sounded desperate for us to get to the hospital. We got to the hospital and she found us and led us to the room of her niece. The little girl we gave the blessing to was sound asleep, but it worked. This little girl has a lot of faith. I had a rather wrenching fight with the adversary in that intensive care room. I walked in and I could feel my surroundings fading away and my face was white-hot and then to make matters worse I was slowly starting to lose my clarity of sight and everything became very foggily-blurred. My ears started to ring and I almost hit the floor.  I had to truly fight with everything that I had to be able to get to the bed of the girl and place my hands on her head.
 
Suddenly, during the last duration of the blessing....I felt a surge run through my arms and a calmness knowing that I was able to overcome the darkness from the adversary trying to bind me from exercising my authority to give a blessing. I then had enough strength to feel, hear, and see things with a vicious clarity, it was almost overwhelming. when I was asked to give a blessing to the mom of this daughter. I do not remember anything that I said however, I know that I was able to do my part. When I walked back in the rain of the cold El Paso morning, I felt a glow of happiness for being able to deliver my strength to halt the deceiver right in his tracks.
 
I am exceedingly grateful for this experience, because it taught me many different principles about the Gospel and about life. Even in the moments where the mists of darkness try and shroud us to deplete our energy, destroy our clarity, and pull us down into the earth, we have the resources of power and of energy stored inside our souls to lighten up this world and to emanate beams of truth to drown out the confusion, which Satan wants us to have. I am especially grateful for this time of year, because although "sore trials" may come upon us we always have the ability to get on our knees and plead for a change of circumstance. A scripture that helps me is found in Mark 9:23 where the Lord demonstrates His incredible capacity of compassion, which He has on each and every one of us. If we face something that we do not believe is possible to overcome or to conquer. Where can we turn? We can turn through prayer to our Heavenly Father and ask Him for relief, understanding, whatever it may be and He will give what we need according to His will! We must show our faith and humility by asking for that greater added strength, etc. If we must, ask the same as did that father. "Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief." It is okay to ask for help!
 
Yesterday, we had the delight as a mission to have Elder Bradley D. Foster of the Second Quorum of the Seventy participate in our zone conference! It was a wondrous experience to say the least! Something that Elder Foster illustrated pretty quickly was that the greatest "presence" we could ever receive during this holiday season is that of the Savior more fully in our lives. Those words ring true with power and I can promise that as we more abundantly focus on the birth of the Savior Jesus Christ and His wondrous works, we will feel of His light and of His Atonement in a greater plentitude in our lives. He does live and He wants us to grow from our struggles not let them sink us into the depths of sorrow. Another insight that I want to share is that we have great peace having a knowledge of Eternity! We all have something special to add to the building of our Father in Heaven's Kingdom.
 
Elder Foster told me something yesterday as I shook his hand. He said: "Elder Richards, is this your first Christmas away from home?" I replied yes. He then asked me: "Will you have any difficulty being here during this time of season?" I responded very abruptly absolutely not, I know why I am here, and I have much to accomplish still!" I take great joy in saying that I know that this will be one of my best Christmasses ever!! I love this work and would not rather be any place else!
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ the Savior, Amen.
 
Have a great week,
 
Love,
 
-Elder Sterling Grant Richards
 

No comments:

Post a Comment