Monday, August 5, 2013

July 22 Letter

Hey Mom and everyone,
Wow, that is some interesting back history about those words. It sounds like lice is hitting like the plague! I am not dealing with that, but I am starting to see cockroaches in the trailer and the church! Big ones too!! I will be lucky if we don't get a big infestation in the next little while with this hot and humid weather, especially because I am taking over the area and getting step-trained. My trainer is going on to bigger and better things. On Saturday night he got the zone leader call and is getting transferred in the morning. My next companion could be a missionary who will finish their mission while completing my training and again my companion will be the district leader; that seems to be the pattern.
I am probably going to be the driver and I haven't driven in New Mexico at all yet. Well, I guess it is time to start, but this last week was great and full of many neat experiences and miracles galore!!!! We decided to go out and talk to a lot more people this week and we had a lot of success of contacting ten people within an hour on Friday! My Spanish is improving immensely by speaking and practicing along with teaching. I am excited to be half way through training and this transfer has definitely flown by. I cannot believe that it is almost August already! I am already learning how to play soccer, because little kids like to play soccer here. I usually just play goalie.

We went to Apadaca Park to contact people on Tuesday, which turned out to be very fun. It really helped me overcome the fear of people scattering when the missionaries walked right up to them. We talked to nine people in total within 40 minutes of being at the park. This week was really tough to see people and to get into houses. We talked to people in between appointments and sometimes even pulled over just to talk to someone. :)
We got a lot of rain this week, but it was very humid, which took away from the cooling down factor. Last night at a dinner appointment with the Del Hierro family we left in a monsoon and a lightning storm in Mesquite, NM. Also yesterday I saw some people from Lyceum who happened to show up to the Spanish ward. They were traveling and their grandparents live in Las Cruces, and I think that they might have spoken a little bit of Spanish.
On Wednesday we went on exchanges with the zone leaders. I went with the more experienced missionary who has five months left; Elder Kemp. He taught me to knock a door or two and to talk to everyone no matter what! Although I enjoyed speaking English for a day, I missed the Mexican culture all of Wednesday. I met some really nice people who were very interested in my background. The Cantrell family: Janet and Gary, were fun to be around and reminded me of grandpa Grant and granny Pete. They were into hunting and big band, and were fascinated by my voice. This was the first true American home cooked meal I have had in a while and it was mashed potatoes and vegetables and bread with meat and mushroom sauce.
I met another family (Guerrero/Hester) who were having a birthday party and their daughter liked to entertain the crowd by singing "Call Me Maybe" (Sophia, Abigail) and then their daughter Hannah looked just like Seattle Sperry; I wonder if they are cousins. The mom (Malia) reminded me of Jeannette and she talked like her, too. She is a cake maker and she made a really fancy cake and homemade ice cream. Her husband Terry looked like Jordan and he was into hunting too, which was awesome. I could relate to a lot of people on exchanges and they gave some really good advice as well.
It will be interesting to meet my new companion tomorrow, and it will be hard to see Elder Keddington go, but I know that the Lord needs him as a zone leader. Taking over the area will be difficult and interesting, but I know that the Savior is there always and I do not need to fear! I am excited though for this next transfer, and to finish my training. We literally drove on some dirt roads this week, but they were very muddy!! I will send some pictures of the filthy truck, just for kicks. :)
I hope that you all have a great week!

Mom as far as some of the other questions go: After re-arranging our trailer I am sleeping a lot better at night and the airflow has been circulating so much better. I am eating a lot, because I love the food! Transfer day is tomorrow like I mentioned earlier. If there are ever any changes I will let you know right off the bat. I saw a bat this week too while running in the morning. I cannot wait to see my niece! :D I would love it if any family write. I am slowly getting used to e-mail and being able to write to whomever I want. I cannot reply to everyone every week, but I will make my best effort to do so!!We eat out a lot in this mission, which can be pretty expensive. The trailer has its own washer and dryer, we just buy soap and dryer sheets, which is awesome and handy!
I will be awaiting the package and the snail mail. :) I love you and pray for you everyday. I will work harder and pray harder. I hope the lice sichiation gets better! I wouldn't have expected that at all. I have gotten much fatter and slightly taller, but it shows, especially in pictures. I will send those in just a few! Enjoy the week and I hope everything gets better!
Love your son,
Elder Sterling Grant Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment