Monday, August 12, 2013

Update from the Land of Enchantment/Las Cruces-August 12, 2013

Dear Mom,
This week was a lot tougher, but very incredible. We found a new family to teach named the Villescas family. They are a family of six amazing people who we found through a referral through an English ward. This week I have been taking every opportunity to open my mouth and to share the Gospel with others. Through this I am seeing my gifts and talents and faith strengthened and exercised and great joy from acting on that which I am supposed to.
Even at Taco Bell in the drive-thru my companion and I passed two Mormon.org cards through the window in exchange for our receipts. I tried the famous Blake's Lotaburger this week for district lunch and I wasn't thoroughly impressed, however, the Hatch green chile is delicious! We are still working with the members to make them Preach My Gospel missionaries and are working with a lot of less-active members. Ever since the worldwide broadcast we have aimed to get the members involved and excited about doing missionary work wherever they go. It is as simple as relating something to the Gospel by use of an analogy to any conversation.
For example you are in the auto-shop getting your car repaired and they are talking about how the circuit on your battery is not working correctly. This can be related to the path and the way of Jesus Christ. Each piece of the circuit represents a different step we have to take. When the circuit is running smoothly again the power is back or the power of the Atonement is living through each and every person. This is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith, Repentance, Baptism by immersion, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End....or exercising each and everyone of these steps each and every day in our lives.
It is these simple steps of faith and agency that truly matter. As we see in the scriptures "line upon line, precept upon precept" "here a little, there a little." "bit by bit, piece by piece.", and " It is through small and simple things that great things are brought to pass." I have seen this even in using what I know, so that I am not putting my "candle under a bushel." The scriptures truly do teach us the way to eternal life. :)
Also this week we had interviews at our apartments with President and Sister Miller. My interview with President Miller was simple and to the point, but powerful. Here is a part that I would like to share....something that I have learned on my mission is that organization, prioritizing, and having a system, which is consistent by which you accomplish tasks is very essential in becoming consecrated and helpful to others. President Miller was so struck by this simple principle in accordance with being timely that he asked for my permission to share this when he speaks.
Salt Lake approved our apartment and we should be moving in this week sometime. I will let you know my address when we have officially moved in! This is very exciting to my companion and I; now that it is half-way through the transfer, which is a crazy thought!!
Another important insight I have taken away from this week is that no matter how bad something or someone is you have to show an increase of love towards them, because we are truly "universal disciples of Jesus Christ." This is a huge role we play in the building up of the kingdom of our Father in Heaven.

Attached is a picture of me wearing one of my new ties I have picked up in front of Missionary Ridge in Mesquite.
I hope that you have a great week!!!!
Love,

Your son Elder Sterling Grant Richards


No comments:

Post a Comment