Monday, September 16, 2013

August 25th Letter...More Flooding

Dear Mom and loved ones!
This week has been full of its ups and downs. The Lord is truly preparing this area: Miranda North for something special and incredible, I just know it! What I mean by this is that my companion and I experienced several hardships, but managed to be "quick to observe", and really focus on the blessings and miracles. We went through trials; for example: On Wednesday I got food poisoning and was unable to work for a good 24 hours or so. My companion experienced a severe week-long migraine headache, and then on Saturday night our appointments had to get cancelled, because our apartment, well the laundry room had flooded and spread a half inch of water all over the floor, especially in the carpet, and the water heater.

I prayed for relief through all of these experiences and eventually it came. The Lord is always there, but we really do have to call upon Him and our Heavenly Father for help. All we have to do is ask most times and he will provide an answer. "Ask and ye shall receive...." The answer may not always come in the way we may like it to you, but it does come; at least according to our needs. We all go through twists, and turns in this life. Just like storms, there is eventually a calmness.

 In the Bible; New Testament in Matthew Ch:8 Verse 24 when it is speaking about a tempest, the Lord's disciples wake Him and he says "Why are ye fearful? O ye of little faith. We have to have the faith to endure the trial or as it says in Ether 12 "the trial of our faith." Eventually these tempests reach a great calm, but it is only with our faith that the Savior will carry our burdens through His divinity and everlasting Atonement and its enabling power.
We are still working with three particular families each month to eventually help them become member Preach My Gospel missionaries. There is always work whether it is less-active, part-member families, or investigators. Or doing service for someone on the side of the road. This past week we had the opportunity to help someone move as well as cut plants for an older woman Sister Garcia, and then she made us pancakes. As a missionary you never know what you will run into, but you always know that the Lord has "prepared a way."
Mom, as far as service examples go: Moving, talking to people about their lives at a rest home, pulling weeds, using a back-hoe to clear weeds, cutting wild plants, etc. I am done all of these things so far as a missionary.
Transfers are next Tuesday. My companion will be finishing his mission and heading up to Albuquerque next Monday, and I will probably go with the zone leaders. I mailed a letter home with our new address. However, you might not have gotten it yet. Here it is: 2300 Kent Rd. #4, Las Cruces NM, 88001. The zip code slightly changed by one digit, because we now live further south down Solano and closer to the University.
It sure sounds like you have your hands full. Wow, a lunch lady! Never expected that one!! Haha Hayley would do that. Liv and Mad are working together on a project as always. Mad and Jordan and Ellie sound like they are doing well. Oh no! Fratto's have a conundrum going on again?!? Granny and Grandpa are life-savers I am sure! I sent some questions, etc in the letter I mailed home.
I will be careful with the money I promise! I might mail a letter about transfer news if it happens before Saturday. Thanks for the love and support and prayers it really makes a difference. Thank you so much for that reference and that perspective, it is so true! Tell T.J., and Rachel and all of the ward family hello. Send them my love. Tell Bishop Eldredge I say hello. I pray for you and the family every day.
I hope you have a great week,
Love,
Elder Sterling G. Richards
Your son :)

No comments:

Post a Comment