Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 3rd and another transfer:)

Mom,
Sounds like the storm is upon Draper!! I am e-mailing from the Pebble Hills library in the heart of El Paso Texas right now. I am spending Christmas and New Years in El Paso. Where to start....I drove over the mountains to the Redd chapel waited around for several hours and then finally the rest of the bunch showed up so that we could start transfer meeting. I was sitting on the bench when I saw Elder Mamales walk in and walk towards the stand, and then he saw me and came and gave me a hug and a letter from Elder Dallas! Elder Mamales was called as one of our zone leaders. Two of my previous companions are the El Paso Zone Leaders: Elder Keddington my trainer, and Elder Mamales my third companion. The zone leaders are in a trio and Elder Hunter is the third zone leader who is going home in three weeks. The missionaries erupted with excitement when Elder Keddington announced:"In Las Tierras Elder Richards will be serving with Elder Berrett and....Elder Anderson!" I was deeply shocked, however it has been challenging and fun all at the same time being with these two Elders.
 
Speaking of trios: I am the senior companion in a trio-companionship serving in Montana Vista: Las Tierras with Elder Anderson and Elder Berrett. Elder Matthew Berrett is from West Jordan, UT, and Elder Erik Anderson is from Sacramento, CA. Elder Berrett is 6'3'' and 18 years old. He has been out for 4 months. Elder Anderson is about six feet, and almost 21 years old. He finishes his mission in February. It is tender mercy to have two of my previous companions as my zone leaders. Elders Keddington and Mamales are still doing awesome!!
 
So from the Redd Chapel we drove over the Trans-mountains and hopped on the freeway going towards Juarez, Mexico, but we turned right before the bridge of entry and ended up on George Dieter and then finally after some shopping, etc; we ended up at our apartment off of Edgemere. We drive a 2011 Chevy Colorado the same color as the truck in Cruces, and I am getting used to driving a truck again! There are three companionships serving in our ward: Vista Del Sol: Elders Hernandez and Crocker, Pebble Hills( Del Norte): Hermanas Callaway and Hendricks, and us Las Tierras. I saw the most in attendance in a sacrament meeting on Sunday I had ever seen on my mission. Apparently on a good week there are 300 or so members in attendance, which is insane to me! The congregation was so filled we had to sit in the back on chairs.
 
This past week was marvelous in the fact that it was my first Thanksgiving on the mission, and what an interesting day that was....We ended up having two dinners the entire day, as well as visiting some active members, and less-active. It was a grand soiree at the first dinner at the Cruz home! Their entire extended family on both sides showed up, and many of them in the ward are related to each other. We did some visits, drove on some dirt roads to get to places faster, and ended off the night with some delicious Turdunkin' at the Madrid' residence! I was so excited when they sliced it and put in on my plate. Duck Dynasty seems to be following me around my mission lately....It was delicious! :) They let me take some home, and when I got home I dropped the keys and my plate went flying in the entry-way. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. I think we may have some left-overs in the fridge however....
 
Well, we live upstairs in a pretty nice apartment, and we all relate with one another pretty well. It is going to be a tough transfer, however all I want to do is work hard, and teach these Elders the best way to be a missionary, which is by seeking diligently to be pro-active at all times and in all places. My Spanish this transfer has risen to a new level, because it had to! I cannot believe I have been out for over seven months now! Time flies when you are working hard!!
 
I want to share a couple experiences from this past week, which demonstrated persistence, and charity. The first of these experiences occurred on Wednesday when we had the privilege to help a Cuban man who is wheel-chair bound move. He had a lot of work out equipment and a few odds and ends here and there, but really he demonstrated to me that he was going to be his best, despite his circumstances. This man Wilson Bidot was placed in our path for a reason, and I know that he is seeking the Gospel in his life. We have not seen him since, but he really admired the fact that we dedicate two years of our lives to serve.
 
 The second was a miracle, which took place last night. We had gotten out of lesson with Hermana Sweeney and we got in our truck. We had exhausted our plans that we had set already and it wasn't even time to be in for the night. We felt prompted to say a pray and to pray specifically for direction. We finished the prayer when I looked at the GPS on the dashboard and put my finger on one of the symbols: the red box in this case. We were led to a less-active member's home, and we got to the door and it looked dark, however we stayed there a little longer and knocked one more time; when a younger woman opened the door and we said we felt like we needed to come here, and she said I am glad you came come in. Then she hesitated a moment and stated: Don't you have a rule that you cannot enter into a home of a single woman? We chuckled a bit, and said "somos tres ahorita, entonces podemos pasar si quiere!"
 
We went inside and we talked for a little while. She brought up families and asked us what type of traditions we do around Christmas time back home. I was the first to answer and brought up the progressive dinner, and how we come together as family, have fun, and eat many times! She thought that was very interesting then she mentioned how she and her family get together at her Mom's house to make lots and lots of tamales then eat them. We talked and then Elder Anderson shared a scripture about prayer. We had a prayer and we still had abundant time before we had to be in for the night.
 
We were about to leave when we asked do you need anything? or "Hay algo podemos hacer para ayudarle antes que nos vayamos? and that is when she asked what do I need to do to get a blessing. We told her that all she needed to do was have faith that the blessing was directly from her Father in Heaven. She told us that she wanted to come back to church and that she was separated from her husband, and she was going through some very difficult times. I gave her the blessing and I had tears of joy fill my eyes as I was finishing the blessing. I was touched by her faith and her sudden change. The priesthood is real and it does bless others!
 
I love this area and the people here! I hope that you have a great week, and that you trust in the Lord to change your circumstances when the dark "storms settle in", especially during this time of the season. I know that obedience brings a more meaningful, and a greater connection to revelation from on high. I have felt that this week, and I sincerely pray that we can remember what this season is really about! The birth of our Savior and what He has given us.
 
Have a great week, can't wait to talk to you on Christmas.
 
Love,
Elder Sterling Grant Richards
 Show message history

No comments:

Post a Comment