Tuesday, December 17, 2013

October 21st Letter: A New Area...in Texas:)

Dear Mom,
This week was quite incredible in many different ways. The first of which as I already mentioned is that the work is truly hastening enough to open more areas and split others 2 or sometimes 4 ways if the work is progressing enough. My companion was re-assigned from the Honduras Tegucigalpa mission and sent here. He is a native and is teaching me a lot about Spanish and I am starting to speak at a machine-gun pace well....I am getting there! My companion reminds me a lot of Kevin Knox from BYU-Idaho, and his family originates from Peru and Spain; Lima and Barcelona. 
I am loving this area so far because there are so many wonderful people here and I have heard some interesting stories. One of these stories is about Hermano Felix Valenzuela Ochoa who built the first Taco Bell in El Paso and is known as "Mr. V." He served in Peru on his mission and he also served in Vietnam I think around the same time as Mark, I am not positive though. He reminds me of Grandpa Grant a little bit and enjoys doing magic tricks for people. My area is over the mountains and is a very scenic place to be. To get to our area we had to drive from the Redd Stake Center over the top of the mountain and then back down again by Hondo Pass. Since you like to hear how I arrived here: I rode in the Jeep Compass from the Venus Chapel to the Redd Chapel and then drove the Jeep Compass with Elder Hidalgo to the Trans-Mountains above and beyond the city.
Over the other side of the mountains is red rock much like St. George. This area is beautiful and we are hopefully going to get some pictures on the ridge where you are able to see the entire valley; I'll send those soon. I will also send you a picture of my companion. The houses here are mostly large, almost mansion like ones. In my area this week we found a new investigator named Ruth. It was a de-ja vu experience for me, because the house was so familiar and the scene was as well. I know that she has been prepared. We are also working with the Si Fuentes family, especially Ricardo the son, and the Dominguez-Soto family. I know they can all change! There is a lot of part-member work in this area and we are seeing miracles just by going out and working with the members. We have so many amazing families who have just been called as ward-missionaries and I know that we are going to have a lot of success this week. Things will only get better here in Trans-Mountain North!
Yesterday my companion and I taught a 5 minute segment of Primary on how to share the Gospel with your friends in an easy manner. I took away several things from this experience. Think of M&M's or Members combining with Missionaries to help others enjoy the "sweetness" which the Gospel message brings. Not everyone likes chocolate until they taste a specific kind of candy (like M&M's). This is much like member-missionary work in this manner. We as missionaries need the members to talk to their friends or their relatives to bring them into the Gospel. I don't know if you know this, but Hannah sees missionaries all over the place and she has been attending mutual. Our family can be member missionaries even if you don't wear the badge; take Elder Ballard's challenge to heart and invite someone; just one before Christmas to an activity or share your testimony, sing a song with them, have a prayer with them. It is just as easy as little kids before they play together having a quick prayer before and maybe singing a hymn. You can relate the Gospel to anything, and I promise that if you exercise your faith and work to build up the Kingdom of Father in Heaven you will be richly blessed and He will guide you by the Spirit. That is how I have been learning Spanish by the promptings of the Holy Spirit and diligent study. 
Lastly, Elder Smaellie is an awesome missionary to be around and he has really good Spanish for how long he has been out. It is heart warming to have a missionary from the Union 4th ward so close! I hope that you all have a great week and continue to pray fervently and read the scriptures with a question in mind! I know that these are the Latter-Days and we cannot procrastinate sharing the Gospel!! The Lord will bless us if we serve others in faith and righteousness. Apply the Gospel to your daily lives, this is but an invitation to you.... 
Again, I hope that you have a wonderful week.

-Love,
Elder Sterling G. Richards
Your son
 Show message history

No comments:

Post a Comment